MUSA’s research activities are relevant to South Africa and the broader southern African region. During the past few years, we have continued to identify and compare the cost and utilisation patterns of medicine in the public and private sectors, evaluated the impact of policy decisions on the equitability, affordability, and availability of medicine, investigated various factors that affect the appropriate use of medicine, and developed pharmaceutical care models to improve appropriate medicine usage.
Other research highlights include the following:
- Prof Johanita Burger was appointed as board member of the International Society of Pharmaceutical Outcomes Research South African Chapter for 2017/2018.
- Prof Johanita Burger was appointed as a co-leader of the southern African region of the International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology (ISPE) Africa Group (2018–2020).
- MUSA hosted the 5th Training Workshop and Symposium of the MURIA (Medicine Utilisation Research in Africa) Group in collaboration with the International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology (ISPE) in Potchefstroom from 7 to 12 July 2019. This workshop and symposium provided considerable exposure to the researchers of MUSA.
- The NRF rating of Prof Martie S Lubbe was upgraded from C3 to C2 in 2018.
- Prof Johanita Burger obtained her C3 NRF rating in 2019.