1. What is the Bachelor of Nursing selection criteria?
- Bachelor of Nursing - 8NE K01 - G401 P/M.
- Four (4) year degree and one (1) year community service.
- Register at the South African Nursing Council in General Nursing & Midwifery.
- National Senior Certificate with university exemption or equivalent;
- An APS score ≥25;
- Physical Science or Life sciences or Mathematics at level 4 (at least 50%);
- English or Afrikaans (language of tuition) at level 4 (at least 50%).
School of Nursing Science specific admission criteria:
- Apply online for admission to the NWU with final grade 11 exam results: Deadline 30 June.
All prospective students need to comply with the following steps to be considered for selection for the degree in Nursing and submit the following documents after the completion of the online application:
- Participation in "shadowing programme" is recommended before selection to the programme: Deadline 30 June. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, applicants that did not do job shadowing will also be considered.
- Grade 12 June exam results: Deadline 2nd week in August
- University selection test for first year nursing students: Will be communicated.
PLEASE NOTE: Should the June grade 12 exam marks not be submitted by the 2nd week of August (or as soon as possible after receiving the results), then there will be assumed that you are no longer interested to study B. Nursing at the NWU.
Tel: 018 389 2465
Tel: 018 299 1877
2. Required NSC subjects and selection process.
Provisional selection of a minimum of 60 candidates per campus, will take place during the 3rd week of August, taking into account of the following:
- Grade 12 June exam results – primarily in Mathematics or Physical Sciences or Life Sciences, as well as APS score will be used to calculate a quantitative selection mark.
- Henceforth all candidates’ selection mark are arranged from highest to lowest and the top 80 (+10%) are placed on the “provisional” selection list.
- Successful candidates will be informed of the selection process results via SMS and/or email.
- The final selection will be completed as soon as the final grade 12 exam results are available (usually early January).
- University selection test for first year nursing students: Will be communicated via SMS and/or email.
- 40 hours (1 week) of job shadowing is recommended as part of the selection process.
Download Important Documents:
3. Medium of Instruction.