The Centre of Excellence for Pharmaceutical Sciences (Pharmacen) is a research entity with a clear focus. The programmes of our research entity are linked to national priorities and have international research impact. Pharmacen currently consists of three research programmes:
- Translational neuroscience and neurotherapeutics;
- Drug delivery; and
- Drug discovery.
The main activities of Pharmacen lie within the following research and functional groups:
- The Medical Research Council (MRC) flagship programme: MAL-TB REDOX,
- Animal models of anxiety/stress disorders (MRC unit),
- Novel drug design in neuroprotection,
- Indigenous knowledge: phyto-chemistry and ethno-pharmacology,
- Biopharmaceutics and drug delivery systems,
- Solid-state pharmaceutical innovation and nanotechnology,
- Cosmeceutical research,
- Analytical technology laboratory; and
- Laboratory of applied molecular biology.