Application process for postgraduate studies

The following process should be followed to apply for a master or doctoral study:

  1. Apply online to Higher Degree Admissions
    See also How to apply online.
    Closing date: 31 August
  2. Please email a letter of interest, your CV, your most recent study record, information on previous degrees (if applicable), and a copy of your ID (or passport) to our research entity ( before the end of August of the specific year.
  3. Please confirm by email ( or telephonically with Mrs Lauren Adam (018 299 2287) that we have received your application.
  4. The scientific committee of the research entity will first conduct a paper selection to identify applicants, who will then be invited for an interview with the scientific committee.
  • Selection is subject to academic performance, practical considerations and capacity and expertise available in the research entity and subject group.
  • Prospective students are recommended to have achieved at least 60% in the first semester of the final year of the BPharm degree (preferably for fourth-year BPharm students) or provide equivalent evidence of competency (e.g. international students).
  • Practise experience and prior learning in the field of pharmacy will be an advantage.
  1. Applicants who pass the paper selection will be invited to an interview with all available members of the scientific committee.
  2. The scientific committee of the research entity will make the final decision.
  3. An official approval letter will be forwarded to you by Higher Admissions of the North-West University.


Important notes:

  • Getting a student number/university number does not imply that you have already been accepted for the programme you have applied for. A student number/university number is issued for administrative purposes only.
  • All documents submitted must be certified by a commissioner of oaths, attorney and/or university official.
  • If any of your qualifications were obtained at a non-South African institution, an evaluation certificate issued by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) must be submitted.
  • Please note that if any of the documents you have to submit were issued in your maiden name, you also have to submit a certified marriage certificate.